Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lent Update (2 Weeks In)

Now that it's been 2 weeks since Lent started, I thought I'd share how Lent is going. God has shown me at least 3 things through this Lent season.

1) I have a new appreciation for Lent. It has been one of the most difficult yet most rewarding Lent seasons I have participated in. Although, I've only participated in Lent twice in my life, it's still a profound experience of growth and insight, which I highly recommend to others for the future or even RIGHT NOW. (You don't have to wait til next year to take something out of your life to get closer to God or add something in. You can START NOW!)

2) Since being off of Facebook and Twitter (of my own accounts not, for work), I tell God what my tweets or status updates would have been. I have found that by doing this, I am including God more in my daily life by having more of a conversation with Him than making Him a "checklist item" on my to-do list. Instead of, "have quiet time with God,"I'm telling my thoughts throughout the day like I would by sharing my tweets with 60 people on Twitter or 800 people on Facebook, most of which I haven't spoken to in years. Why let other people you don't even talk to on a daily basis know what's going on through your head if you're not telling God first?

3) The most memorable aspect of Lent for me right now is the brand new understanding of fellowship.  God has been teaching me how tiring and exhausting being intentional with people is. Jesus did this ALL THE TIME throughout the Bible. He travels (by foot) to various towns to meet with other people, invest in their lives, talk to them, build a relationship and form a connection. He goes to people's houses for meals (doesn't eating out every day get old fast?) and he brings the disciples with Him wherever He goes! Where's His alone time? (Garden of Gethsemane) But, you NEVER see how Jesus gets tired, snappy or grumpy. People wanted to see Him crack but He never did. (thankfully)

After pouring myself out to people over meals or coffee, it has sunk in how hard it is to do all the time. Although, I have definitely been filled back up by His Spirit. I've had great conversations getting to know new people, reconnecting on a deeper level with old friends or just catching up. It has truly been rewarding and I cannot wait to see what the next few weeks have in store.

For now, please pray for strength and energy to continue on this journey. I've never realized how much I can crave desserts, candy, pop and easily give into those cravings, when after a few minutes, the cravings subside.

I will be going to Miami, FL for Spring Break with two of my closest friends at IC to see my roommate from last year and her fiance. I'm hoping the Vitamin D will prove itself :D Thanks for your prayers, your prayer support and your loyalty in reading this hahaha


1 comment:

  1. AWESOME!! personally ive never participated in lent but im glad youve learned so much!! and have fun in Miami, get a tan! and say hi to mary for me!!! :) love u and miss u tons

    ReplyDelete